Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Oh the sound of Christmas. The excitement of the atmosphere this time of year is almost too much for some to handle. Like the people in the AF Target parking lot that were throwing "hand gestures" to one another as well as every colorful metephore you could think of over a parking stall. Hey, if we can drive around the parking lot looking for a spot that would fit our beast calmly then they can too. But the most impressive scene of the day was at Jim's diner. As we sat in our booth I couldn't help but notice the 2 kids and their father sitting in the booth directly infront of my gaze. As I sat there, I noticed quite the display of fatherly love. This little girl, couldn't be older than 8 spilled her glass of water. As any of us know, if you have kids this will happen at least once during any given dining experience. The father jumps up and mutters under his breath, "What the H#!! is the matter with you?! Sh!%!" AS IF SHE MEANT TO DO IT! He then sat there and glared at her while the waitress cleaned it up. Once the nice waitress was finished and walked away, the father says "Sit the F...... Down!" Hello, are you kidding me? Who says that to their child! I then sat there and watched him glare at his little daughter across the table for 10 solid minutes. Everytime she would catch his gaze he would throw something down on the table and then mutter some snide comment to her. Look, I don't like water spilled as much as the next guy but it is apart of life as a parent. I know things like this go on a lot more than what we notice but it is slightly shocking when it is unfolding right infront of you. I can understand a quick rebuking of your child, there might even be a curse in there somewhere. But to then continue punishing your child and making sure they know how worthless they are for that mistake is quite over the top for me.

2 comments:

The Olsons said...

That's just sad

Laura said...

It's heartbreaking to know that some children grow up in that kind of situation. Pood girl.

By the way, next time you are shopping in AF, come see me at Ross. I work two nights a week there, Mon and Wed! :)