Monday, July 20, 2009

Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

I just have to start and say this trip was quick but completely packed with fun and laughter. I don't know that I have laughed that much in 24 hours in my life. I love and adore vacations with my family, but there is something about getting away with the girls that is different. I had a blast and for my first girls trip ever in the 11 years that I have been married it was great!
Anyway, we stayed in Tropic. If you blink you will miss it. My bed had black long hairs in it and then my friends and her moms bed had a big wet spot. Yes, that is what I said... a-big-wet-spot. That is ok, though because we got a 5.00 discount on our room. Yes, that is what I said... 5-dollar-discount, FOR A WET SPOT IN THE BED! I was ok with my black hairs after the discovery of the wet spot. Anywho, the race started at 6:00am at Ruby's Inn and traveled all the way down to Cannonville. The first 8 miles were great with the 8% downgrade and cool air. But once we passed our hotel and had 4 miles left to Cannonville I absolutely wanted to die. That steep downhill sucked it out of our legs. I love downhill races but that was a bit much. So the last 5 miles I really had to pull from deep within to not turn around and walk back to the black haired bed at our hotel. It was hot, hills, and the air was filled with smoke from a "controlled burn" that became a little not so controlled. At the end it is always worth it, though. Plus I beat my time from the Salt Lake Half by 2 1/2 minutes. Now, can I tell you how freaking sore I am? I can't even begin to say how bad my legs hurt. I feel like a total gimp because I can't even walk down the stairs. I guess down hill runs will do that to you. Anyway, just looking forward to the next time I get to kill myself running. Here are some pics.Below is our 25X25 discusting room that had a bathroom door that wouldn't shut.This is my cute brother and nephew. My nephew went down with me so he could go stay with my brother in AZ for a few days. He is such an awesome kid. We all love him. My brother and his wife Jamie came up to do the race. Jamie ran the half but my brother wasn't able to because of some health issues. It's still so fun to see them.This is after the race... needing a shower.
Now, for my nephew, he is 13 years old. He decided to run the 5k a couple of days before we went down. His fastest 1 mile is 5:40. His fastest 5k is 20:07. This little turd is fast. He places 2nd in his age group at a time of 21.40 and took 5th overall. I am so proud of him. It is fun to have a family member enjoy the hobby that I love and then to watch him kick my butt at it is even better.:)

6 comments:

The Olsons said...

It looks like you guys had a good time, except the hotel part, $5.00 off! The bad part about your experience is the walk, I see you can't walk, it's pretty noticeable.

shellyray said...

I'm impressed! Looks like a fun girls trip. You have to have disgusting stories to make trips memorable so I guess a hairy, wet spot hotel room is a good thing. By the way, is it just me or dose your nephew look like Garret?

Emily said...

Um, you lost me at long black hairs. I have killed for less. I'm dry heaving as we speak. Oh yeah, and good job on the race! (ralllllph)

The Bensons said...

Sara- thanks for noticing....

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love Bryce Canyon. I worked there the summer I turned 18. I would love to run this one someday. Looks and sounds like a fun time. I will be sure to NOT stay at the place you stayed. ick.

Amy Morris said...

I absolutely love this race! (It was my first half marathon)! What a fun little getaway and story-

Next time you will have to stay in Hatch- There are no wet spots or hair on the beds :)