Monday, November 10, 2008

Emily's thoughts...

I am now an official insomniac. I can't sleep because I cannot turn my brain off, EVER! I first noticed it when I started working for my brother-in-law. Before I didn't have to use my brain so I was used to slumping through life without a thought to anything. But since I have started the work I do I am forced to use it again and, as a result, have created a monster! It is almost like it had been hybernating and now is awake and needs to eat! If I don't have a constant stimulus for it then I have to find something to fill it up or I get very anxious. Another problem is that there is so much I have to remember- so I lay awake at night trying to figure out if there was anything I had forgotten to do that day. Then I start to think about all the things I didn't and should have done and then that leads to what I want to do first thing the next day and everything I need to accomplish. I work from home so there is no separation between occupation and home- It all meshes together. THAT IS A PROBLEM!! When I worked away from home I would leave and that was it until I walked through the doors the next morning...no longer the case.
I need to find a way to define and separate the two. I still don't think that would solve the problem of my overactive brain, though, because it now has a mind of its own. I run, spin, work, play volleyball, am a mother, a wife, and clean and by the end of the day my body cries for mercy- but the brain won't comply and as a result I sit in my lounge chair each night as everyone sleeps and watch my DVRed shows and blog. I always try each night to fall asleep when Ryan goes to bed but always find myself back out on the couch within 5 minutes of hearing him start to breath heavy. I know it sounds as though I want to go back to the day when I didn't have a brain but that isn't true. I enjoy being able to think through problems and solve them. I just want to find a way to channel the thoughts and teach them the appropriate times to infest my brain- you know, teach them their boundries.

9 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Since we bought and moved into our house here in Ky, I sleep sooooo good. I rarley even wake up in the middle of the night now. So I feel so bad for you that you can't sleep. Some of my closest friends back home in Vernal can't sleep either. I think they take Ambien. Have you tried that?

Michelle C. said...

I hate that!! It would happen to me when I used to work. Have you tried reading a book before you go to bed?

Jane said...

I feel bad for you as well. I really dont know if there is anything worse than laying there thinking about wanting to sleep so bad and not being able to. I am so sorry. Drugs. Drugs are always the answer.

Emily said...

Emily, I seriously feel your pain!! I actually had to put a pad of paper by my bed so that anything that comes to my mind I can quickly write it down and can relax a little. Seriously it helps. Give it a shot. I also started taking melatonin before bed, it's all natural and helps destress and sleep better!!! Any more suggestions than that and I'll have to charge you...

Adam and Kristine said...

I give Ryder Melatonin before bed. It is a natural supplement. I take it too sometimes,it really works.

Kathy said...

Oh my poor, cute little sister-in-law. I was an insomniac for YEARS, until I discovered my little friend Ambien. Yes, it's a drug, and I'm addicted, but since discovering this magic pill,for the first time in over a decade, I consistently enjoy six(sometimes even seven) hours of uninterrupted sleep. And I wake up refreshed - not groggy. Nothing over-the-counter or natural did the trick for me.

Jen-dog said...

so quit your job. There problem solved. Thanks Jen. Youre Welcome Emily.

The Bensons said...

Jen- thanks for your empathy. I really appreciate that. You know, I am not so sure that would solve our problem. i.e. MONEY
That would just transfer my stress from one issue to the next. Thanks anyway Jen, your welcome Emily!

kristall said...

Emily,
Is your maiden name Edens? This is Kristall Beckstrom, If this is you please email me at kbutters@msn.com I would love to chat with you.