Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The story of my garlic....

For those of you who know me well, I love my yard. I love to plant things and watch them grow. I sometimes even like to plant things, watch them grow for a little bit, decide I hate them and then rip them out or pawn them off to different neighbors. I like to find different types of plants to go in my yard and am always looking for ways to improve it.

Now let me back up.... When I was little I would spend several months at my grandmas house in Oregon in the summer. She had all sorts of wild flowers growing in her yard. But the ones I remember the most were her garlic. I don't know if any of you have seen these but they are SO COOL! Here is a picture of some.Anywho, when Ryan and I moved into our home down here, I asked my mom to bring me some of my grandma's garlic bulbs home with her from her trip out to Oregon. I counted down the days until she returned with my garlic bulbs. The thing with garlic, however, is that it has to go through a winter before it will actually bloom. So, come that spring I was outside everyday watching my little shutes grow. But that first year nothing happened. I got some greenery but no flower. So the next summer, I did research and prepared the soil as needed, watered as they like, and watched for the flowers. Again. No flowers just greenery. 3 springs in a row this happened. So last fall, I again prepared the soil and did everything I knew how to make way for my garlic flowers. I didn't get why they grew like crazy in any conditions out at my grandma's home but not here! So this spring comes. I noticed they started to shoot up early. I thought, "Yes! I am going to get my garlic flowers this year!" Everyday they almost doubled in size. And then I noticed the flower bulb start to grow up. I was getting my garlic flowers!!! After 3 long summers of frustration I was finally getting the flowers I had wanted! And finally one morning I walked out there and they had bloomed!!!!
Daffodills! I had harvested Daffodills! My cute little grandmother dug up daffodill bulbs instead of garlic bulbs. All those years of frustration and this is what grows up! So, this summer I am heading out to Oregon to collect some and hopefully by next Spring I will have some purple poof flowers. :)

4 comments:

shellyray said...

What a bummer! All that wait for daffodils. :( I love the garlic flowers. Is that what grows from actually garlic that you cook with or is it just a name for the flower?

The Bensons said...

It grows from the actual garlic.

Emily said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Just because that's something that would totally happen to me! Better luck next time. (still laughint)

Unknown said...

I am laughing so hard it hurts!