Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Why do we have to grow older?

Wow. My birthday came and went but left me a year older in its wake. You know, I don't feel my age (Let me be the first to say it... or act it) and I feel exactly the same as I did 12 years ago. So yesterday wasn't anything to shout about until evening. Last night was such a special night to me and i wish I had a picture of everything. My children were giving me cards. I guess all of them were super excited because their cards were funny. But as I was opening them and looking around at all their faces, I had their undivided attention and their eyes were all glowing. I couldn't help but start to feel that little seed of gratitude and love (aka tears welling up) start building. I wish I could have stopped time and enjoyed that moment longer but just like life it moves on and is gone. Then they all started to sing. Game over. I am my mother. We couldn't get through a happy birthday song growing up without her starting to cry to save our lives. But I get it- I am so lucky and blessed to have my incredible husband and kids. Growing up I never would have guessed that my life would be shared with such incredible people that I have such undying love for. So, I guess when all is said and done, being a year older isn't so bad if it means that I get to do it with these guys.

2 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Great post... I know exactly what you mean. I am not a sentimental mom... I am way excited to have my kids grow up and move out, but every once in a while.... Tears.

Lisa said...

What a sweet experience! I hope you have many more of those to come!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!