I am to the point where I want to suck my eyeballs into the back of my head and cough them out my mouth. I literally feel as though I could bang my head repeatedly against the wall and have drool slowly drip from my lip.
Let's address the my boys looking for missing items issue.
This morning right when we are supposed to be leaving for school-
Mom: Garrett grab a jacket
Garrett: Don't need one
Mom: Garrett, please get one. It is cold. Your red one is downstairs in the pile infront of the dryer.
Garrett: No it's not, I looked for it yesterday.
Mom: Garrett, it is. Just go down and look again.
Garrett after going downstairs for 30 seconds: I told you it isn't down there!
I went down there, the pile was NOT disturbed and it was hanging out the side. Totally could have seen it.
Dallin as we are driving out the driveway to school: Mom! I left my homework inside!
Mom: Go grab it and please hurry
Dallin yelling out the front door, crying after 1 minute of looking for it: Mom!!! I can't find it now I am going to get into trouble!!!
Mom: Did you look in the kitchen on the table, computer desk, in your room?
Dallin: Yes! I looked everywhere.
So I get our of the car, go inside and find it right there on the computer desk.
Why??? So, I have decided, I will no longer look for ANYTHING that they lose. This happens EVERY DAY! I feel it is the only way that I am going to teach them to be responsible for their things. I gaurantee once Garrett goes to baseball practice without his mitt a couple of times he will make sure to put that mitt where it is supposed to go. Actually, he puts it where it is supposed to go he just doesn't look inside of his baseball bag to see if it is there and then starts freaking out because he can't find it. (that happened yesterday). I bet if Dallin gets in trouble for not having his homework a couple of times he will learn to put it into his backpack once he is done with it. I worry too much about them getting in trouble by other people but in the meantime I am not teaching them how to take care of their responsibilities. I AM DONE! I will no longer help them find the daily things of life the mysteriously sprout legs and walk away.
11 years ago
4 comments:
Way to put your foot down em! A little tough love won't hurt them, you're turning them into better people. It's hard to stick to it though so good luck!
Oh honey. We have this battle every day at our house. But, it's not only the kids, it's Ross too. "Where's this, where's that"...It's right in front of your freaking face....sorry. I get a little riled up that everyone just expects me to find it. I'm gonna' try your method. So, if Ross goes to church without pants, just smile and nod.
I'd go to church without pants if Michelle would let me.... i'm calling Ross
Lol, I think this must be a male thing because I too have this issue everyday and yes it is also Justin that does it too. Isn't it funny how they seem to prove everytime that mom is always right, and knows everything? hee hee.
Post a Comment